Inhaler technique

Are you using your inhaler correctly?

The Nottingham City CCG Inhaler Technique Project, launched in May 2013, is a two-year programme to help patients who use inhalers reduce the symptoms of their asthma or chronic obstructive respiratory disease (COPD).

The aim is to ensure all healthcare professionals can teach inhaler technique to patients and that every patient is helped to improve their technique at every opportunity.

Research has shown that a high percentage of patients don't use their inhalers properly. Correct inhaler technique is crucial – when used effectively, 20 per cent of the medication reaches the lungs (the other 80 per cent is swallowed); with a poor technique that drops to between 0 and 10 per cent.

A dedicated training programme for health professionals is underway so that they are better able to train and support their patients.