Press releases

Commissioning Groups urge local people to ‘choose well’ during strike action

To help reduce pressure on the health services, South Nottinghamshire Clinical Commissioning Groups (Nottingham City, Nottingham North and East, Nottingham West and Rushcliffe) are urging local people to reduce the burden on QMC’s emergency services by choosing the right service for their medical needs.

The CCGs are working with Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust (which includes QMC and Nottingham City Hospital) and community and mental health service providers in preparation for the proposed industrial action by junior doctors in December.

Dates for industrial action have been announced, starting on Tuesday 1 December, when junior doctors will only provide emergency cover for a 24 hour period. Full strike action is then planned between 8am and 5pm on Tuesday 8 December and Wednesday 16 December.

The CCGs are asking people to consider whether they really need to use the Emergency Department when other services are available. Making the right choice about which healthcare service to use helps people get treated faster in the most appropriate way.

Dr Guy Mansford, Clinical Lead at Nottingham West CCG, says: “Everybody can do their bit to deal with the impact of the proposed industrial action by ensuring elderly and vulnerable friends and relatives know what to do if they need medical care during the strike and by only using emergency hospital services if they really need them.

“Patients in need of urgent and emergency care will continue to receive the treatment they need, when they need it. However, due to increased pressures, those in less urgent need of care may experience longer waiting times than normal. In all cases priority will be given to those patients with the most pressing health needs.”

There will be minimal disruption to Primary Care services so it’s business as usual at City and County GP practices. So, if you need urgent care during surgery opening hours then please call your GP practice. Please note below information about where people should go if they need medical help.

Information for patients about the impact of the junior doctor strikes is available on Nottingham University Hospitals’ website at: 

Where to go for medical advice and help


Common winter ailments such as colds, sore throats and coughs can often be effectively treated at home. Pharmacists have a wealth of knowledge on how to treat these types of illness and a local pharmacy may help. It is also important to make sure your medicine cabinet at home is well stocked and contains sufficient over-the-counter medicines to treat minor ailments.

GP practices

If you have an urgent medical need during surgery hours, then please contact your GP practice.

Nottingham NHS Urgent Care Centre

Seaton House, London Road, Nottingham NG2 4LA
Tel: 0115 883 8500

The Urgent Care Centre is open every day of the year including weekends and bank holidays between 7am and 9pm and you don't need an appointment, just walk in.

The Urgent Care Centre provides access to assessment and treatment if you need help with an urgent health problem.

The service aims to be a real alternative to visiting the emergency department (ED) for non-life threatening injury and illness that needs treating straight away. You should have a shorter waiting time than if you visit ED / the hospital.

The centre offers assessment and treatment for urgent health conditions such as:

  • Minor burns or scalds
  • Minor head injury with no loss of consciousness
  • Skin infections or animal bites
  • Suspected broken bones, sprains and strains (X-ray facilities are available) - if you have a fracture, the Urgent Care Centre will provide appropriate treatment on site and arrange for you to have follow-up care at the Fracture Clinic
  • Eye infections or minor eye injuries
  • Open wounds or cuts that may require suturing (stitches)

An urgent dental service is also available on-site that can provide free advice on dental problems (open 08.30 to 18.00 Monday-Friday and 8.30-12.30 on Saturday)


If you need medical advice quickly, call NHS 111. Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, when you call NHS 111 you will be assessed, given advice and directed to the local service that can best meet your needs. An out-of-hours GP service is available for illnesses and injuries.

In an emergency call 999

If you or someone else has: loss of consciousness/ severe breathing difficulties/ heavy bleeding/ severe chest pains/ possible broken bones/ deep wounds/ stroke/ swallowed something harmful or poisonous/ taken a drug overdose then go to the Emergency Department at the QMC or call 999.

Remember the Emergency Department is for emergencies only!

You can also get health tips on how to self-care from NHS Choices at